It took 14 hours to get here from Siem Reap where all us foreigners were scammed left right and centre. We had to pay $4 to enter Laos after I had already paid $45 for a visa. And we also had to pay $3 to get the boat from the mainland over to the island. But there's nothing you can do. You gotta cough up!
I have been staying on on of the larger islands called Don Det. Life on Don Det feels so laid back that anymore laid back you'd be horizontal. You need to keep checking your pulse because you worry your blood pressure has dropped too low. There is no transport here except boat, and bicycles.
I managed to secure a little bungalow owned by a Mr. Mo for $4USD per night located right on the river. I also have a hammock right in front of my door. So I wake up, lay in my hammock and eat. Life is tough.
Life for the last few days has been riding my little bike around, lazing around in my hammock reading my book. In the evenings I have been hanging around a group of other travellers drinking Laos Beer.
I also managed to find a really cool place called King Kong, which is run by a Scouse and a Swedish guy who basically sit around smoking pot and playing chess all day. The Scouse guy even does a Sunday roast so a big group of us went over and had the best meal ever!
We also got invited to a Laos wedding. We all sat down and they put this food in front of us. Um, we all looked at it not knowing what on earth it was and each of tried some and I swear some of us had to spit it out. I hate being a tourist sometimes but this food what nothing like I have tried before. It was aweful. I think it was tripe with bits of grit in it. 'Shudder'.
It's a little paradise and I am so sad to leave my hammock.
My bungalow with my own hammock out front.
Eating our Sunday roast at King Kong.
The Laos wedding food. What on earth is it?
No comments:
Post a Comment