I am now donating my time volunteering with kids for International Humanity Foundation (www.ihfonline.org) It may sound sad but I actually missed working and began to find doing nothing but find material for my blog boring. I just needed to utilise my time more effectivly. I am working with local kids teaching them English and Maths in a tiny village on the Eastern coast of Bali called Buitan. The village has literally 3 shops and 3 cafes.
You probably all think I am living the Balinesian dream, and taking a nice relaxing break, but you would be wrong. It is so humid and uncomfortable. I honestly think I am melting. There are mosquitoes everywhere and thankfully my mate Simon gave me his mosquito net or else I would definitly have malaria by now, as I still refuse to take malaria tablets, much to the dismay of many people I have met! There is only freezing cold showers. The hours are long and the work really quite hard. We are not allowed to drink alcohol nor go to the beach and swim as that would mean getting into our bikini's and as the area is predominantly muslim and we don't want to offend anyone. But I am working with a great bunch of volunteers and everyone is so helpful.
International Humanity Foundation was set up by an American lady called Carol Sasaki and she really has put her heart and soul into this organisation helping kids get an education in Thailand, Kenya and Indonesia. Education in these parts of the world is expensive local people so if it were not for foundations like this and the donations it receives these kids would have no education.
No comments:
Post a Comment